SKF launches new set of engine timing tools for accurate and efficient repairs
2014 Juli 15, 12:00 Europe
Gothenburg, Sweden, 24 July 2014: The timing system is a delicate part of the modern engine and poor repair techniques are the key cause of mechanical failure. That is why the SKF Vehicle Aftermarket has extended its specific tool offer with 10 new engine timing tools designed to help garage technicians work quickly and correctly while carrying out repairs on the timing system for a wide range of popular vehicles.
On most timing belt driven engines it is important to use specific tools when replacing the system. The driven components such as the camshaft, crankshaft and even the diesel injection pump must be locked in their correct positions when the old timing belt and other components are removed and the new kit fitted. Failure to do this can cause costly and often irreversible engine damage. The SKF engine timing tools provide all the necessary components to maintain the camshaft/crankshaft synchronization and replace the timing system safely and correctly.
What are the features and benefits?
- Instead of an all-in-one costly and bulky tool set including tools for every engine type, SKF has designed 10 smaller sets each covering a group of similar and popular engine designs. This allows garage technicians to pick and choose which tool sets would be more useful for their car parc and saves them space and money;
- Each tool set includes printed instructions with step-by-step guidelines on how to carry out the locking of the timing system correctly;
- The packaging is robust, light and easy to transport if necessary;
- Individual replacement parts are available for order in case of loss or damage so no need to replace complete kit.
The 10 timing tool sets cover a combined total of 90 timing belt kits and timing belt kits with water pump and link to over 5000 applications in the European car parc.
The complete SKF Vehicle aftermarket tool offer now includes 16 kits in total. In addition to the 10 new engine timing tools, we also have in our tool range:
- 2 SKF Freewheel alternator pulley tools: the VKN 350 and VKN 351 – to help dismantle and fit the component properly.
- A stretchy belt fitting tool – VKN 300 – that makes “stretching the belt to fit” much easier.
- 2 clamp tools designed to tighten SKF boots – VKN 400 for universal clamps and VKN 401 for ear clamps.
- An expander tool – VKN 402 – to fit universal boots without removing the CV-Joint from the shaft, saving time and reducing costs. With this CE-marked pneumatic tool, no physical effort is required to expand the boot.
For additional product information, check our online catalogue at www.vsm.skf.com or download our “SKF Automotive parts search” iPhone application.