SKF's own operations
•Direct emissions from combustion processes in boilers for building heating, the heat treatment furnaces or in company cars. (Scope 1)
• Indirect emissions coming from the power generation of the electricity and district heat needed to run SKF’s production machines, light up our plants and offices, load the batteries of the forklifts in our warehouses, creating a good indoor climate in our buildings, powering our computers, etc. (Scope 2)
– 40% CO2 emissions from manufacturing per tonne of sold product.
CO2 emissions from manufacturing per tonne of sold products
Bearing production (about 80% of energy use)
How to achieve
- SKF's World Class Manufacturing strategy focuses on reducing scrap and optimizing processes.
- Scrap reduction means less machined material and thereby reduced energy and emission per product output. This also lead to less procured raw material and components.
- Process optimization also leads to reduced energy demand.
- Background energy is the energy that always needs to by switched on to run the facility even with no production, SKF works continuously to reduce this by efficient lights, HVAC etc.
- Make central systems more efficient. centrla systems are for example compressed air, closed-loop water systems, hydraulik systems etc. that are needed to run many of our factories. We constantly work to reduce the energy use from these systems.
- In the production channels, a lot can still be done to reduce energy demand.
- The consolidation of SKF production to a fewer number of large factories allows us to utilize the factories better, this will lead to less energy input per units produced.
- Procurement of “green” energy.
- The final piece of the puzzle in order to meet the target, means we would rely on a continual increased share of low-carbon electricity in national energy mixes. Even if SKF does not have significant influence on the renewable energy industry, what we deliver to the wind, hydro and ocean energy certainly helps this transition. SKF serves the industry with products and solutions that reduces the total cost of ownership for renewable energy generation and ultimately enable more renewable energy.
BeyondZero impact over the value chain
SKF own operations
– 40% CO2 emissions from manufacturing per tonne of sold products.
– 40% CO2 emissions from goods transportation per tonne of shipped products to end customers.
Raw material and components
Support SKF’s energy intensive suppliers to get certified according to ISO 50001
Products and solutions
Support our customers to reduce their CO2 emissions