High temperature bearings and bearing units
SKF High temperature bearings provide:
- reduced total operating cost through increased bearing service life
relubrication-free operation 1)
- reduced machine complexity
- reduced environmental impact
- excellent performance in hot conditions, dry environments and low rotational speed applications
Typical areas where SKF high temperature bearings are used include:
- metals industry (cooling beds for steel plate)
- food and beverage industry (continuous baking ovens, wafer baking ovens)
- paint lines
AssortmentSKF offers a wide range of high temperature bearings and units according to ISO standards and also a range of customized high temperature bearings.
The SKF core assortment of high temperature bearings and bearing units corresponding to ISO standards includes:
SKF high temperature bearing designs and variants incorporate various graphite-based lubrication solutions including:
- lubricating paste composed of a polyalkylene glycol/graphite mixture
graphite cages (segmented or coronet)
For an overview of lubricant types, and other characteristics, for high temperature deep groove ball bearings and Y-bearings and Y-bearing units refer to table 1 and table 2.
During operation, the graphite maintains a very thin film on the bearing’s raceways and rolling elements to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Graphite ages at a much higher temperature than oil and grease, and therefore does not lose its lubricating properties in the high temperatures at which it is recommended for use, so the need for relubrication is eliminated.
With many variants, all surfaces of the bearing and, where applicable, shields and flingers, are manganese-phosphate coated to enhance adhesion of the lubricant to the metal and provide some protection against corrosion.
The most common sealing alternatives for high temperature bearings incorporate integrated or external shields or labyrinth seals. These arrangements have a rather low complexity and none of these arrangements are capable of keeping the bearing dry in a wet environment.
Therefore, the bearings should be used in a high temperature, dry environment.
In addition to high temperature bearings corresponding to ISO standards, SKF offers a range of customized high temperature bearings.
- 1)With the exception of variant VA201 without shields, which does require relubrication.