- most mineral oils and greases with a mineral oil base
- normal fuels, such as petrol, diesel and light heating oils
- animal and vegetable oils and fats
- hot water
WARNING: HAZARDOUS FUMES
Safety precautions for fluoro rubber
Fluoro rubber (FKM) is very stable and harmless up to normal operating temperatures of 200 °C (390 °F). However, if exposed to temperatures above 300 °C (570 °F), such as fire or the open flame of a cutting torch, FKM seals give off hazardous fumes. These fumes can be harmful if inhaled, as well as if they contact the eyes. In addition, once the seals have been heated to such temperatures, they are dangerous to handle even after they have cooled. Therefore, they should never come in contact with the skin.
If it is necessary to handle bearings with seals that have been subjected to high temperatures, such as when dismounting the bearing, the following safety precautions should be observed:
- Always wear protective goggles, gloves and an appropriate breathing apparatus.
- Place all of the remains of the seals in an airtight plastic container marked with a symbol for “material will etch”.
- Follow the safety precautions in the appropriate material safety data sheet (MSDS).
If there is contact with the seals, wash hands with soap and plenty of water and, if contact has been made with the eyes, flush the eyes with plenty of water and consult a doctor immediately. If the fumes have been inhaled, consult a doctor immediately.
The user is responsible for the correct use of the product during its service life and its proper disposal. SKF takes no responsibility for the improper handling of FKM seals, or for any injury resulting from their use.