SKF Drive-up Method
Accurate mounting of spherical roller and CARB bearings
The SKF Drive-up Method is a well-proven method, unique to SKF, of accurately achieving the adjustment of SKF spherical roller and CARB toroidal roller bearings mounted on tapered seatings.
The method incorporates the use of an SKF HMV ..E hydraulic nut fitted with a dial indicator, and a high accuracy digital pressure gauge, mounted on the selected pump. The correct fit is achieved by controlling the axial drive-up of the bearing from a pre-determined starting position, defined by the pressure in the SKF HMV ..E hydraulic nut. The second stage is monitored by driving the bearing up a calculated distance on the taper seating.
You can determine the staring position pressure and drive-up distance for most SKF bearings by using the SKF Drive-up Method PC program or iOS / Android apps.
- Reduces the use of feeler gauges
- Greatly reduces the time to mount spherical roller and CARB toroidal roller bearings
- A reliable and accurate method of adjustment
- The only suitable way to mount sealed spherical roller and CARB bearings
SKF Drive-up Method - Step by step procedure
- Determine whether one or two surfaces slide during mounting; see figures below.
- Lightly oil all mating surfaces with a thin oil, e.g. SKF LHMF 300, and carefully place the bearing on the shaft.
Use the SKF Drive-up Method program or app, or use skf.com/mount to calculate the required values for the bearing and the mounting arrangement.
- Drive the bearing up to the starting position by applying the required hydraulic nut pressure. Monitor the pressure using the gauge on the selected pump. SKF Hydraulic Pump 729124 DU is suitable for SKF Hydraulic Nuts ≤ HMV 54E. SKF TMJL 100DU is suitable for SKF Hydraulic Nuts ≤ HMV 92E while SKF TMJL 50DU is suitable for nuts ≤ HMV 200E. As an alternative, the SKF Digital Pressure Gauge THGD 100 can be screwed directly into the hydraulic nut.
Drive the bearing up the taper by the required distance Ss.
The axial drive-up is best monitored by a dial indicator.
The SKF Hydraulic Nut HMV ..E is prepared for dial indicators. Normally, the bearing is now mounted with a suitable interference on the shaft and a suitable residual clearance.
One sliding surface (fig 1)
One sliding surface (fig 2)
Two sliding surfaces (fig 3)
Two sliding surfaces (fig 4)
Zero, starting and final positions (fig 5)