SKF Taconite Seal
One global design for split housings for extremely contaminated and wet applicationsThe SKF Taconite Seal consists of two rings (one stationary and one rotating) which form a very narrow labyrinth between the two rings. The rotating labyrinth ring carries a V-ring seal that seals against the stationary labyrinth ring. The V-ring seal blocks contaminants from entering the bearing housing and aids the purging of contamination and old grease when something like a mining seal is re-greased.
How the SKF Taconite Seal can be used
Superior protection and easier alignment
- Multi-stage axial labyrinth cartridge seal – includes two labyrinth rings, an internal low friction V-ring seal and provision for grease purging
- Flinger action – the rotating labyrinth ring flings water away from the seal
- In-groove or bolt-on seal designs – for SKF split housings. Seals can be customized for use with competitor housings
- Inch or metric sizes – a wide product range to fit housings with different shaft sizes, from 50 mm (1 15/16 in.) to 450 mm (18 in.) as standard. Contact SKF if larger sizes are needed.
- V-ring seal and O-rings – made of Acrylonitrile-butadiene rubber (NBR)
- Easy alignment – circumferential groove on the outer diameter surface of the stationary labyrinth ring aids assembly and alignment. Grub/set screws in the rotating labyrinth ring firmly secure it to the shaft.
- Worldwide availability – SKF can meet the needs of multinational producers and just-in-time delivery programmes
- Cartridge Taconite Mining Seal of machined cast iron or steel
- Three and four axial labyrinth stages
- Internal V-ring seal to exclude contaminants and enable grease to purge
- Rotating labyrinth ring faces bearing housing to deflect and fling away water
- Short installed axial length
- The rotating labyrinth ring is sealed to the shaft by an O-ring in its bore
- 3 grub/set screws (at 120°) to center the seal on the shaft
- ± 0.5° misalignment capability
- Circumferential groove to aid alignment and assembly
- Fits SKF metric SE, SNL, SNL 30, 31 and 32 series
Fits SKF inch SAF, SAF B, SAW, SAFD and SDAF housings
- Excellent exclusion of contaminants
- Improved water ingress prevention (including high pressure washing)
- Longer bearing and mining seal service life
- Reduced grease consumption
- Reduced environmental impact
- Compact design
- Easier installation and alignment
- Compatible with new and older housing
Grease filling and purging
The SKF Taconite Seal is supplied with a grease fitting for the re-greasing of the labyrinth. This purges the labyrinth of contamination and helps block the entrance of contaminants.
The seal can be greased three ways:
- Manually with a grease gun
- SKF SYSTEM 24
- SKF Automated Lubrication System (ALS)
To fill and purge SKF Taconite Mining Seals, the grease used to lubricate the bearing, or one that is compatible with it, should normally be used. Where a sealed SKF spherical roller bearing is used, SKF recommends SKF LGEP 2 grease, which is the original factory fill grease in sealed spherical roller bearings with VT143 suffix.
Depending on their compatibility with the grease used to lubricate the bearing, other SKF greases can also be used – according to operating requirements:
- SKF LGHB 2 – higher ambient temperature applications
- SKF LGWM 1 – cold climates
- SKF LGGB 2 – biodegradable grease
SKF Taconite Seal designation system and selection guide
Designation for metric sizes consist of the prefix TK and the housing size. Designation for inch sizes consists of prefix TK and the number from table 1. For non-standard sizes, contact SKF application engineering service.
Examples for ordering SKF Taconite Seals only:
Metric housing, adapter sleeve: TK.. eg. TK 524
Inch housing, adapter sleeve: TK.. eg. TK 115 V
Select your SKF Taconite seal type
Housing with SKF Taconite Seal – “in-groove”
Fits into the seal groove of SKF split housings. The SKF housings do not require modification to accommodate the new “in-groove” SKF Taconite Seal. “In-groove” seals have three or four stage labyrinths, depending on size and appropriate for many situations such as the mining industry. (fig.1)
For shaft diameters from 50–140 mm (1 15/16–5 7/16 in.) labyrinth have three stages; for shaft diameters 150 mm (5 15/16 in.) and larger, labyrinth have four stages
Housing with SKF Taconite Seal – "bolt-on" – optional for larger sizes
The optional SKF Taconite Seal for larger sizes (from size 68) is flanged for bolting to the housing. The SKF housing can be delivered from the factory with the necessary machining or, with existing housings, can be modified by a local SKF Solution Factory to accommodate the new SKF Taconite Seal in the larger sizes. (fig.2)
"Bolt-on" SKF Taconite Seal has four labyrinth stages.
The ultimate SKF Three-Barrier Solution
For optimum performance in extremely dirty and wet applications, especially where high-pressure washdowns of the machinery are common, SKF recommends the ultimate three-barrier solution:
- SKF housing with SKF Taconite Seals – primary barrier: prevents ingress of solid and liquid contaminants, even during high-pressure washdowns
- Grease barrier – secondary barrier: grease fill in bearing housing cavity
- Upgraded sealed SKF Explorer spherical roller bearings – final barrier: excludes contaminants during initial installation and in operation