SKF hybrid bearings
Longer lasting under extreme conditions
Featuring a very smooth service finish and low conductivity, SKF hybrid bearings cut lubricant consumption and open up a wide range of possibilities for rolling bearings. Features include:
- Lower density - Silicon nitride balls have a density of only 40% of similar steel balls, enabling higher speeds, less weight, lower inertia, plus more rapid starts and stops.
- Low friction - Silicon nitride's low coefficient of friction enhances wear resistance, allowing bearings to run cooler even when they are poorly lubricated.
- Higher modulus of elasticity - Ceramic balls have 50% higher modulus elasticity than steel for increased bearing stiffness.
- Low conductivity - Ceramic balls act as a barrier to electrical current passing between inner and outer rings, thereby delivering a simple method of insulation.
- Lower coefficient of thermal expansion - Ceramic balls have a thermal expansion only 29% of similar steel balls, which allows less sensitivity to temperature gradients for more accurate preload control.