SKF life testing
The purpose of this life testing is to improve the design, the materials and the manufacturing processes of bearing products, as well as the engineering analysis tools required for the design of bearing applications.
Typical life testing activities include tests on bearing population samples under different conditions, such as:
- full-film lubrication conditions
- boundary and mixed lubrication conditions
- predefined contamination conditions of the lubricant
Apart from testing in different conditions, SKF life tests are performed to:
- verify the data published in product catalogues
- audit the quality of the manufacturing of SKF bearings
- research how lubricants and lubrication conditions influence bearing life
- support the development of rolling contact fatigue and friction models
- compare SKF products with competitors’ products
Life tests are sophisticated and wide-ranging and are run under strictly controlled conditions. Post-test investigations with state-of-the-art equipment make it possible to investigate the factors that affect the life of the bearings in a systematic way.
As an example, the SKF Explorer bearing design is the result of optimizing influencing factors determined by analytical simulations and experimental verification.