Sustainable building design and construction
Delivering value to our customers in the most effective and efficient ways possible is fundamental to us. As SKF is expanding to meet the constantly evolving needs of our diverse global customer base, we are constructing new manufacturing and warehouse facilities in different regions.
Irrespective of the location, we have made the commitment that all new facilities must be designed and constructed to world-class standards in terms of environmental performance; and we do so by adopting the US Green Building Council’s (USGBC®) ‘Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design’ (LEED) standard for all our major constructions.
In December 2017, SKF had received 21 LEED certified sites around the world, these are presented at LEED.com
- Test centre, Schweinfurt, Germany (Gold)
- Manufacturing, Villar Perosa, Italy (Gold)
- Manufacturing, Chodov, Czech Republic (Platimun) press release
- SKF Solution Factory, St Cyr, France (Silver)
- SKF Solution Factory, Gothenburg, Sweden (Gold)
- Manufacturing, Tver, Russia (Gold) press release
- SKF Solution Factory, Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire, France (silver)
- Logistics centre, Shanghai, China
- Office, Pune, India (Platinum) press release
- Manufacturing, Dalian, China (Gold) press release
- Office, HQ Shanghai, China (Gold)
- Manufacturing, Jinan, China (Gold) press release
- Manufacturing, Ahmedabad, India (Gold) press release
- Technical Centre, Bengaluru, India (Gold) press release
- Manufacturing, Mysore, India (Gold)
- Office and manufacturing, St Louis, MO, US (Gold)
- Manufacturing, Zapopan, Mexico (Gold)
- Office, Tortuguitas, Argentina (Gold)
- Office, HQ Lansdale,PA, US (Platinum) home page
- SKF Solution Factory, Cleveland, OH, US (Gold)
- SKF Solution Factory, Birmingham, AL, US (Gold)
The LEED standard is a ‘points based’ system, with some mandatory categories, and others where it is possible to gain points by applying a specific environmental technology or solution. A certain number of points are required to achieve basic certification. However silver, gold and the highest level, platinum, are also possible if sufficient points are verified by the USGBC.
Main credit categories
- Sustainable sites credits encourage strategies that minimize the impact on ecosystems and water resources.
- Water efficiency credits promote smarter use of water, inside and out, to reduce potable water consumption.
- Energy & atmosphere credits promote better building energy performance through innovative strategies.
- Material & resource credits encourage using sustainable building materials and reducing waste.
- Indoor environmental quality credits promote better indoor air quality and access to daylight and views.
Two bonus categories
- Innovation in design or innovation in operations credits address sustainable building expertise as well as design measures not covered under the five LEED credit categories. Six bonus points are available in this category.
- Regional priority credits address regional environmental priorities for buildings in different geographic regions. Four bonus points are available in this category.
Read more on LEED at U.S. Green Building Council >>
SKF Sustainable Factory Rating (SFR)Because LEED is a generic standard, inevitably it does not cover all the environmental issues specifically related to typical SKF manufacturing processes. As the financial, environmental, social impacts of these processes can be significant, the company is developing an SKF specific category – referred to as the ‘Sustainable Factory Rating’ (SFR) which will follow the format and general approach outlined in LEED, but addresses specific SKF process related aspects. The criteria are grouped in 11 categories:
- Health and Safety
- Process Media and Process Pump Systems
- Compressed Air Systems
- Process Cooling / Heating
- Metering, Monitoring and Targeting Capability
- Pollution Control
- Process Waste Management
- Manufacturing Equipment
- Heat Treatment
- Commissioning Phase
All major constructions to be undertaken by or for the Group are required to apply SFR in conjunction with LEED.