Bearings and rod ends requiring maintenance
SKF steel/steel radial spherical plain bearings are made of bearing steel and are through-hardened. The high-strength sliding contact surfaces are phosphated and treated with a special running-in lubricant. These bearings are used primarily in applications where there are:
- heavy static loads
- heavy alternating loads
- shock loads
They are also relatively insensitive to contaminants and high temperatures.
The multi groove system
These bearings are identified by the designation suffix ESL, the lubrication grooves provide the following benefits:
- improved lubricant supply to the loaded zone
- enlarged lubricant reservoir in the bearing
- enable relubrication under load
- extended relubrication intervals
- space for wear particles and contaminants
- extended grease life
The main benefit of the multi-groove system is that it improves lubricant distribution in the heavily loaded zone to extend service life and/or maintenance intervals.